Friday, August 7, 2009

Emacs 23...

... is out and has been so for over a week. Why didn't somebody tell me?

In any case, I upgraded to Emacs 23 on my Debian unstable laptop. This means a new font. I put Emacs.font: Bitstream Vera Sans Mono 9 in my .Xresources file and am enjoying it so far. It's a bit muddy so I wasn't sure at first, but after having stared at it for a while the old font is just too skinny. Note that configuring the font in .emacs is still broken (sigh), in that it causes the window to jerk when you start Emacs.

I've been lobbying for changing the defaults over to make copy-paste between Emacs and other X applications (from this century) work properly. Apparently, (setq x-select-enable-clipboard t) is now better, but still not according to the spec. And it's not default yet.

I noticed some Tramp updates (for accessing remote files) in the NEWS and decided to give it a spin for the first time. Try C-x C-f someserver:myfile.txt and with a little patience, you're editing a remote file locally! Very neat.

Feeling adventurous I also tried IDO, an update of iswitchb that works with file find (so overrides C-x C-f). I'm turning it on with
(ido-mode 1)
(setq ido-enable-flex-matching t)
(setq ido-use-filename-at-point t)
replacing iswitchb and ffap settings. We'll see how it goes.

Finally, Anders mentioned a new Javascript mode, js2-mode, which I'm definitely going to try out.

No comments:

Post a Comment